30/365: Sunday Self Portrait

untitled-2.jpg

Oh how I love him. The portrait session I had planned in my head didn't pan out. But that's ok, something so much better did.
I can hardly look at this picture without crying.
Mamas- get in those pictures with your babies.

It's worth it.

(A couple tips on self portraits and back lighting. For this portrait I did have Isaac sit on the ottoman and I focused and metered off of him and then got in the frame with him. When I don't have a second subject to meter off of I will try to focus on something that is approximately at the position my head (or whatever I want focus on) will be at. If I don't have skin available, I try to find something else that is close to neutral gray to meter off of. Then take a couple shots and adjust as necessary. In backlighting situations I always spot meter off of my subjects skin. If the light is really strong you might have to shield the lens (like a lens hood would) while metering and focusing, then remove your hand and allow the light to flood in for the flare and haze effect.)

21 comments:

Alison said...

Wow. This is just stunning. A treasured shot for sure!

Laurie said...

You two look so sweet together. You nailed the backlighting.

Keara @ Now I Know What Life Is All About said...

Awww! That is beautiful! Did you meter off him and then shoot? The backlighting is perfect!

Nicoleann said...

Beautiful photo Megan! You are dead on when you say get in the pictures. I was planning on ordering a gallery wrap for my living room and I realized that I am in hardly any of the photos of my family :(

Mindy said...

This is awesome - I love it! Definitely need to print this one and hang it. Question - how do you get the focus on yourself with a self-timer?

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

Beautiful photo,

Isabel said...

I just have to comment like the rest of the people above...This one is such a BEAUTIFUL picture! You two are so adorable in here! Great shot!

tatyannashope said...

Absolutely beautiful! This is so very perfect.

You are right though, we need to be in more pics with out babies. It's easy to get caught up with life behind the camera that we forget that we need to be on the other side as well. I have so many awesome pics of my husband with our kids but the last one that was taken of me was at our littlest hero's session in the spring. That's going to change. Thanks for the reminder!

karren said...

WEll, that is good advice... i should have heard it 40 years ago. I do not have photos of myself with my babies except in the hospital. I'm so sad about it now. I love this one. Beautiful!

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

this is so beautiful...please frame...BIG!

Travis said...

That's a really good one!

Tamra said...

Absolutely stunning! Wow - beautiful lighting, beautiful people, and a beautiful connection.

Melissa Weber said...

What a gorgeous image. Love!

Alice said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!! I need a copy!! (Pretty please??)

Trisha said...

Beautiful lighting & love the composition. My kid likes to hug my waist. I may borrow this idea from you!

Courtney said...

Frame it! Frame it! Frame it!!!

Brittany Fantuz said...

I love this capture. Looking at this makes me realize that I need to take more pictures of my kids and I.

Shannon Joy said...

Oh Megan! This brings tears to my eyes!!! So beautiful!

elizabeth said...

wow!!! what an amazing, awesome photo!!! thanks so much for sharing this -
i love it!

Kristin said...

Wow! Simply beautiful. You've inspired me...thank you!

Paulette said...

Oh my, my, my.. what a precious photo!

Paulette