312/365: Painfully Taciturn

untitled-2.jpg

Oh my.

Today was the first day of gymnastics. Isaac was stoked and even cheerfully exclaimed "I'm going to listen to the teacher today!" when asked what he was going to do at gymnastics (he had been coached to listen, of course, but we had provided other ideas of what he might do: jump, stretch, spin, etc) We got there and he immediately retreated within his little shell. At first he did listen. Actually, that was the extent of his activities. Instead of participating in the stretches during warmup he preferred to watch the other children (I totally understand... I like to watch a demonstration before I try something new :-P) Eventually he did decide to engage in the activites... and then he took off. He was never rude, never threw a fit, but wandering off and trying out equipment became a much more enticing activity than sitting on his little purple rubber square and listening to safety rules.

"Isaac, come sit down" "Isaac, wait your turn" "Isaac, no- go through the tunnel, if you go over you'll break it" "Isaac..."

It took everything I had to sit silently in my seat and not jump up to run interference. I just had to keep reminding myself that this was his first try at an organized activity without my active participation.

I'm sure next week will go better.... I think?

1 comments:

Courtney said...

Yay for Isaac!! It is painful to watch them and not say anything but I'm sure he will get the hang of things :O) Looks like he is having fun!